Friday, May 20, 2005

Why do I bother caring?

I saw Eye of the Beholder back when it came out, and walked out of the theater to exclaim "That was best movie I've seen in the last two hours." That is not something I could claim for Revenge of the Sith. Fool me once with Clones, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me. Then again, I had read the script beforehand, so it must be some form of masochism that dragged me to theater, and the thought that maybe the event and the people I saw it with would take me, like Lincoln Hawk, Over the Top.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" is what kept reverberating through my head, and Luminous are the originals. This shit is crude matter, the bottom line is that nobody's motivation works on screen. People do things because they have to. I guess the faithful have supplied their own motivations, while many critics have just waved their hands at the poor motivations and latched on to the spectacle, of which there is much, but I'm not a sucker for digital scapes, and probably never will be. The film is graceless. But it commits suicide with the "turn" scene, which has a character zapping himself with his own lightning for only the reason that it changes his face into some KNB circa 1987 monster. Why? Because he has to. It's as if Lucas has intentionally staged this sequence as poorly as he can to somehow cover up the fact that it doesn't make sense. I'm trying to find a similar analogous scene in a movie or play, the only thing that pops to mind is Hamlet killing Polonius. Imagine that done by four year olds, maybe, and you'll get close.